Belgian universities offer basic academic courses, advanced academic training courses, doctoral programmes, post-academic training and various international study programmes (Masters’) in the fields of theology, philosophy, law, economics and applied economics, political and social sciences, medico-social health sciences, dentistry, pharmaceutical sciences, physical education and physiotherapy, sciences, language and literature / history, archeology and art science, psychology and educational sciences, medical sciences, engineering and applied biological sciences.
Belgium is situated in Europe. It is a lively and cosmopolitan society with a multicultural and multi lingual environment. International students choosing Belgium as a study abroad destination have an opportunity to enjoy a pleasant and environment, friendly people and fine cuisine and most of all pursue their academic interests.
Cost of study and living in Belgium
Living costs depends a lot on your lifestyle and on the city you live in. As goes for most places, big cities will be more expensive than rural areas. The living cost in Belgium is approximately 550 – 650 €/month. This includes accommodation, food, utility bills and travel.
Study fees at Belgian higher education institutions amount to €500 per year for most of the study programs. In some cases it can cost slightly more, like for postgraduate courses
Admission procedure for study in Belgium
To be admitted into any course candidates need to have a Bachelor degree or an equivalent academic degree of minimum three years of undergraduate study corresponding to 180 ECTS. Students in their final year of their Bachelor degree may be admitted in the Master programme on the condition that their Bachelor degree is awarded before they enroll for the programme. All candidates also need to have followed courses in mathematics, statistics and economics as well as agricultural, food and environmental sciences(whatever field of study they have chosen) at least at a basic level.Candidates must agree to complete the academic curriculum in two consecutive academic years and to the terms in the study contract as specified by the AFEPA consortium.
The following are required to start the procedure for admission and should be sent to the Student administration office .Applicants whose application is judged favorably will receive a letter of acceptance in duplicate by registered mail. This letter of acceptance is required to complete the registration process.
1.A completed application form.
2.A copy of passport or identity card
3.A typewritten CV containing among others details of previous studies and/or professional activities (this CV must be written in Dutch, French, English or German).
4.A legalized copy of the diploma, certificate or other official statement that gives access to the chosen program.
If this diploma or certificate has been issued in another language than Dutch, French, English or German, it must be accompanied by a translation in one of these four languages.
5.To obtain exemptions for courses in study program or to obtain permission to register for a master/advanced master program with a foreign bachelor/master diploma, the following documents are necessary:
- Academic certificates or transcripts of the diploma’s concerned, showing information about all courses, the study load for each course,
- The examination results for each course
- The title of the dissertation (if applicable)
- The final evaluation
- A description of all courses in Dutch, French, English or German The description of the courses is not the same as academic transcript. The description should be a small summary of each course listed on the candidate’s academic transcript. The application will not be processed without this required document.
- A copy of the dissertation (if applicable). If the dissertation is not written in Dutch, French, English or German you can add a summary of the dissertation in one of these four languages (must not be translated by a sworn translator)
- Applicants that are enrolled in the final year of their academic bachelor or master’s program should submit an official letter in English from their university confirming that the student is expected to finalize his/her course at the end of the current academic year, and submit up-to-date authenticated transcripts with the results of the previous years
- Only for medical studies: a copy of the certificate of passing the entrance examination medical doctor/dentist
Top universities in Belgium
- Boston University, Brussels
- Brexgata University Academy
- University of Gent
- University of Antwerpen
- University of Kent