Germany is one of the wealthiest countries in the world and according to the reports by World economic forum, Germany is at the moment the wealthiest country in Europe using GDP stats. 2014 ushered in tons of changes in Germany, one of which was the removal of tuition fees for undergraduate courses. What this means is that tertiary education, at least for the undergraduate level, is free in Germany but the question is: What else should you know about studying on free tuition in Germany?
To study on free tuition in Germany here are some of the top things you should know:
To begin with, you are expected to apply and gain admission into a German university because without a university granting you a spot, you will not be able to study on free tuition in Germany. The process is quite easy.
- Choose a German university.
- Find out the requirements for admission into the university.
- Apply to the university.
Related Post:2019 List Of Low Tuition Universities In Canada, Tuition Fees Ranging From $2,000 to $15,000 Per Year
- Connect and find out if you are able to study in Germany. If your country has diplomatic ties with Germany, you will be able to study in Germany on free tuition. A student visa is another important thing if you come from a non-European union country.
- Please note that free tuition studies is valid only in public (government owned) universities. Find below a few of the largest free tuition public universities in Germany:
- University of Cologne
- Ludwig Maximilians University Munich (LMU)
- Goethe University Frankfurt
- RWTH Aachen University
- University of Münster
- Ruhr University Bochum
- University of Duisburg-Essen
- Universität Hamburg
- FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg
- Technical University of Munich (TUM)
Even though public schools in Germany offer free tuition, the quality of education is top notch. The decision to offer free tuition programs was more of a political decision and it does not in any way influence the quality of education an undergraduate student can get. Studying on free tuition in Germany will take you places, skyrocket your career and give you a proper head start in life.
- Visa: Before a student visa is issued, you are expected to show evidence of sufficient funds via your bank statement, the required amount is $9,000 per year. This evidence will show the German authorities that you can take care of your needs and that will not become a liability when offered admissions to study on free tuition.
- The moment have successfully shown, with your bank or sponsor’s statement that you can take care of yourself, you are expected to plan for stuff such as accommodation, food, personal items, utility bill and other academic expenses. The truth is that tiny costs and large expenses respectively can make the free tuition to seem not so free after all and this leads us to the next point of what partial/full scholarships are available for international students?
You would agree with me that scholarships are definitely a fantastic option for defraying university expenses.Winning a scholarships to study in Germany will certainly help you take care your expenses. The fixed amount of money offered as a forgivable grant or scholarship, will help you pay for accommodation, feeding, clothes, books and even have a little extra to save and send to your village people. So, when applying to study on free tuition in Germany ensure that you do not overlook the free funding that comes in the form of scholarships.
Scholarships for International Students
DeutschlandStipendium National Scholarship Programme
The Deutschlandstipendium (Germany Scholarship Program) awards financial and non-material assistance to high-achieving and committed students from across the world. The Germany Scholarship targets and assists highly motivated students at all participating universities in Germany. Please note that this scholarship is awarded without consideration to personal or parent income and one’s nationality is not looked at either. The scholarship is equivalent to 300 EUR per month and is granted for at least two semesters but may be provided for a maximum time which covers the standard period of study.
DAAD Scholarship Programs
DAAD is a renowed joint organisation of Germany’s higher education institutions and is tasked with the responsiblity of promoting international academic relations, primarily through exchange programs and conferences.The DAAD scholarship database updates scholarship and funding opportunities for international students, graduate students and scientists who are seeking financial assistance for their studies, research work or teaching assignments in Germany. The database not only lists all the scholarships offered by the DAAD, but also has a diverse set programmes offered by a good number of institutions.
Germany Foundations’ Scholarship Programs
There are a number of political and religious foundations in Germany that offer partial/ free scholarships to international students from various backgrounds, interests, and qualifications.
Erasmus Scholarship Programs
German Universities are part of a number of programs that are funded by Erasmus Mundus and Erasmus+ scholarships. These scholarships can finance your studies and help you pursue a coveted study program in Germany. Feel free to read about it and apply.
Related Post:How to study in Germany in English as an International Student