The University of Westminster is a public-based university in London, the United Kingdom that was founded in 1838 (was then the Royal Polytechnic Institution) serving as the first polytechnic educational organization in the UK. Westminster later was recognized as a degree-awarding university in 1992.
The University is situated on Regent Street in the City of Westminster area of central London. The University also has satellite campuses in Marylebone, Fitzrovia, and Harrow and also operates an International University in Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
The University of Westminster is ranked 603 according to MacLean’s University global ranking since 2016 to date. The University also ranks among the top 10 in London, it further extends to be among the top 100 most sought-after university for international students following the proclamation of the Times Higher Education’s global university rankings. The Institution academic events are systematized into seven faculties, within which there are about 45 departments. The University also boasts of numerous research-centers with excellent records across all the faculties, including the Communication and Media Research Institute, whose exploration is ranked Top 40 globally by the QS World University Rankings.
Westminster offers varieties of courses to students both for undergraduate and post-graduate studies. The University also identifies with admitting of International students in different areas and disciplines.
Prospective Undergraduate candidates applying for both full-time and part-time studies into the university must meet up with university admission requirements which include;
• Three (3) GCE Advanced Level passes
• Two (2) GCSE(s) with a Grade 4 including maximum credits in Mathematics and English Language
• 5 credit pass in the Scottish Certificate of Education (SCE), with 3 passes in Higher Grade including English Language and Mathematics
• 4 passes in the Scottish or Irish Certificate of Education, all at Higher Grade including English Language and Mathematics – Mostly for International students.
• A pass in BTEC National Certificate/Diploma or HNC/HND – the merit/pass profile will be postulated in the conditions of the university offer
• A pass in any Foundation course
• A Universal or Welsh Baccalaureate
– Admission to study some courses requires sitting for an interview, submitting a certain portfolio or completing an assignment.
– Applicants without formal qualifications can apply to the university but are generally endorsed to take a one-year access course to prepare for degree- level studies to serve as a substitute for a formal post-16 qualifications.
To apply for a postgraduate course It is very important to complete an application of UKPASS (an application required for international students to complete before applying for any postgraduate course in the UK) where intending candidates have to specify;
– The reason for enrolling in the particular course
– Any initial relevant experience in such field
Candidates, however, must possess
• A good B. SC,B.A,B.EDU etc. (Hons.) degree from a renowned university around the world or any qualification or experience equivalent to such
• Minimum International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of at least 6.5 overall and minimum 5.5 in each component or any corresponding score.
- English Language proficiency requirements diverge among courses
- Candidates are required to pay an application fee which is payable to UCAS online or through the candidate’s school bursary board.
• Intending international students need a minimum International English Language Testing System, (IELTS) score of 6.0 overall with at least 5.5 in each component, or an equivalent recognized Westminster English language qualification.
• The University offers English language support to her students by offering Pre-sessional English course to help develop the language and study skills needed during the university studies, English summer courses, IELTS preparation courses and Academic English modules all in the bid of giving intending candidates the chance to experience excellent student life in the institution and London as a whole.
– The minimum IELTS score tends to be higher, depending on the course although it is not compulsory to take the IELTS examination before applying.
Students with Disabilities
Applicants with disabilities are considered for applications on academic grounds. However, it is important to clearly state if the disability might affect studies on the application form as this is to enable the university make appropriate provision for such students such as providing them with health insurance and other health-related facilities
The procedure for admission of physically deformed applicants is in accordance with the parliamentary requirements of the UK Disability Discrimination Act, and this might prompt the candidate to be invited for an interview to discuss if there is need for any special arrangement as some courses might be unfitting for applicants with precise disabilities
As earlier stated, the institution has seven faculties. The below table shows the estimated tuition for both international and local students:
|FACULTY||LOCAL STUDENTS(POUNDS)||INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS (POUNDS)|
|Architecture and The Built
Environment/ Architecture and The Built Environment – except Architecture
|Electronics and computer science – except Networks and computer engineering/ Networks and computer engineering||£7,500/£8,500||£9,000/ £10,500|
|Media, Arts and Design||£9,000||£10,000|
|Westminster Business School||£8,000||£9,500|
|Social Sciences, Humanities, and Languages||£8,500||£9,000|
The University undergraduate and postgraduate courses start in September prompting acceptance of applications from 1st September in the year before the commencement of course.
However, there are no official deadlines for applications to the University, but the management urge applicants to apply earlier at least 3 months before the commencement of the study, particularly when a candidate needs a Tier 4 visa to study in the United Kingdom.
Cost of living in London;
|Regular lunchtime menu||£81|
|Regular accumulated meal in a restaurant||£49|
|400 gr (1 lb.) of chicken breast||£40|
|1 liter (1 qt.) of whole fat milk||£17|
|12 eggs, large||£20|
|1 kg (2 lb.) of tomatoes||£19|
Flat-Share Rental per month One Bedroom Flat Rental per month
East London £350 – £450 (single), £550 – £720 (double) East London
West London £300 – £430 (single), £400 – £700 (double) West London
South London £350 – £600 (single), £400 – £800 (double) South London
Utilities(gas, heat, electricity) £461
Monthly Internet £277
Volkswagen Golf 1.4 TSI 150 CV (or equivalent)- £138,907
1 liter (1/4 gallon) of gas- £5.99
Monthly ticket public transport £434
The University of Westminster is one university out of the very many with outstanding features with qualitative and quantitative programs tailored to help students excel in career.