If you are planning to study abroad and you are on low budget, make up your mind to study in Belgium. Universities in Belgium charge low tuition fees, usually in the range of 900 Euro to 4000 Euro per year. So today, I’m going to provide you with comprehensive lists of these universities, but before I do that, let’s briefly look at the cost of living in Belgium, tuition fees and the admission requirements.
Belgium, a country situated in Europe, is a lively and cosmopolitan society with a multicultural and multi lingual environment. International students that choose Belgium as a study abroad destination have an opportunity to enjoy a pleasant and environment, friendly people and fine cuisine and most of all pursue their academic interests.
Cost of living in Belgium for students
Cost of living is the total amount an individual needs to take care of his/her living expenses like feeding, accommodation, transportation, etc. Living costs depends a lot on your lifestyle and on the city you live in. As goes for most places, big cities will be more expensive than rural areas. The living cost in Belgium is estimated at 550 – 650 €/month. This includes accommodation, food, utility bills and travel etc.
Tuition fees in Belgium
Tuition fees is Belgian universities is low and affordable. Study fees at Belgian higher education institutions ranges from €900 to 4000 Euro per year for most of the study programs. In some cases it can cost slightly more, like for postgraduate courses.
Examples of tuition fees in Belgium are:
- KU Leuven: Tuition fees range from 906 Euro to 4000 Euro
- Vlerick Business School: Tuition fees is about 15,000 Euro
- Vrije University, Brussels: Tuition fees range from 906 Euro to 1450 Euro per year
- University of Leige: Tuition fee for EU students is of 906 EUR/year, and for non-EU students it can range from 2,400 EUR to 4,175 EUR/year
Admission procedure for study in Belgium
To be admitted into any course candidates need to have a Bachelor degree or an equivalent academic degree of minimum three years of undergraduate study corresponding to 180 ECTS. Students in their final year of their Bachelor degree may be admitted in the Master programme on the condition that their Bachelor degree is awarded before they enroll for the programme. All candidates also need to have followed courses in mathematics, statistics and economics as well as agricultural, food and environmental sciences(whatever field of study they have chosen) at least at a basic level. Candidates must agree to complete the academic curriculum in two consecutive academic years and to the terms in the study contract as specified by the AFEPA consortium.
The following are required to start the procedure for admission and should be sent to the Student administration office .Applicants whose application is judged favorably will receive a letter of acceptance in duplicate by registered mail. This letter of acceptance is required to complete the registration process.
1.A completed application form.
2.A copy of passport or identity card
3.A typewritten CV containing among others details of previous studies and/or professional activities (this CV must be written in Dutch, French, English or German).
4.A legalized copy of the diploma, certificate or other official statement that gives access to the chosen program.
If this diploma or certificate has been issued in another language than Dutch, French, English or German, it must be accompanied by a translation in one of these four languages.
5.To obtain exemptions for courses in study program or to obtain permission to register for a master/advanced master program with a foreign bachelor/master diploma, the following documents are necessary:
- Academic certificates or transcripts of the diploma’s concerned, showing information about all courses, the study load for each course,
- The examination results for each course
- The title of the dissertation (if applicable)
- The final evaluation
- A description of all courses in Dutch, French, English or German The description of the courses is not the same as academic transcript. The description should be a small summary of each course listed on the candidate’s academic transcript. The application will not be processed without this required document.
- A copy of the dissertation (if applicable). If the dissertation is not written in Dutch, French, English or German you can add a summary of the dissertation in one of these four languages (must not be translated by a sworn translator)
- Applicants that are enrolled in the final year of their academic bachelor or master’s program should submit an official letter in English from their university confirming that the student is expected to finalize his/her course at the end of the current academic year, and submit up-to-date authenticated transcripts with the results of the previous years
- Only for medical studies: a copy of the certificate of passing the entrance examination medical doctor/dentist
Read also: Low tuition universities
List of Low Tuition Universities in Belgium
- Boston University Brussels
- Brexgata University Academy
- Brussels School of International Studies, University of Kent at Canterbury
- Brussels University, Service Télématique et communication
- Catholic University of Louvain (Université Catholique de Louvain)
- ECAM – Institut Superieur Industriel
- EHSAL – Economische Hogeschool
- Faculté Polytechnique de Mons
- Faculté Universitaire des Sciences Agronomiques, Gembloux
- Facultés Universitaires Catholiques de Mons
- Facultés Universitaires Notre-Dame de la Paix
- Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
- Flanders Business School
- Fondation Universitaire Luxembourgeoise
- Hogere Zeevaartschool – Maritime Academy
- Hogeschool Antwerpen
- Hogeschool voor Wetenschap & Kunst
- Hogeschool voor Wetenschap en Kunst (VLEKHO), Brussel
- Karel De Grote Hogeschool
- Katholieke Hogeschool Sint-Lieven
- Katholieke Universiteit Brussel
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Campus Kortrijk
- Limburg Universitair Centrum
- Royal Military Academy of Belgium
- The International Management Institute
- Thierry Graduate School of Leadership
- Université de Liège
- Université de Mons-Hainaut
- Université Libre de Bruxelles
- Universiteit Antwerpen
- Universiteit Antwerpen Management School
- Universiteit Antwerpen, UFSIA
- Universiteit Gent
- Vesalius College (Vrije Universiteit Brussel)
- Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School
- Vrije Universiteit Brussel
If you need any information about the school, kindly contact them through the web page and get all information about admission and entry requirements. If you need more information about low tuition universities in Europe, check the archive section of this blog or keep reading our blog