Skip to content

Studying in China

    study abroad in China

    China is one of the largest countries in the world and nowadays it is fast becoming a major competitor in the world for its industries, economy, and higher education. It is also cheap for world-class higher education as compared to countries like – United States, Australia, Canada, Japan and other European countries. 

    As the second-largest economy in the world, many companies and leaders from various countries and industries come to this part of the country and do their business in China. Also, China is affordable, the cost of living and the tuition fees are much lower on average, compared to other countries.

    China ranks third globally in the number of international students it attracts yearly.  It is not surprising that China is becoming increasingly popular with students who want to study abroad. Chinese higher education institutions have a lot of freedom of choice in terms of program design. This has increased diversity in the range of study, which makes a study in China very attractive to international students. A large number of students from neighboring countries in Asia, such as – Thailand, India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, etc, and another large percentage come from the Us and Europe. 

    In order to work in China after graduation, you have to be able to speak Chinese and have a basic understanding of Chinese culture. The ability to work at Chinese companies would give you the opportunity to be successful in almost any major global economy.

    Studying in Chinese Universities is fun, but you have to choose the right study for the maximum benefit. There are more than 2000 higher educational institutes in China that welcome international students. Many of them are renowned internationally, and world top class in ranks. Every year over 7 million graduates are produced from those institutions. According to the Chinese ministry of education, more than 500,000 international students came to study in China.

    Admission requirements:

    Chinese universities offer English and Chinese taught learning programs. Admission requirements of each of the universities will differ from one another. The admission requirements of each study program in Chinese universities include age limit, academic requirements, language proficiency, entrance examinations, and minimum grade requirements. Also, the China Government Scholarship is open to all international students who are interested to start their academic journey by taking admission in undergraduate, Doctoral, or master level academic programs in any of the Chinese universities who offer CSC Scholarship.

    Education Background and age limit:

    1. For bachelor’s degree: High-school diploma and under the age of 25.
    2. For master’s degree: Bachelor’s or equivalent degree and under the age of 35, also with the recommendation letter from two professors or associate professors.
    3. For doctoral degree: Masters degree with letter of recommendation from two professors or associate professors and under the age of 40. And must need a study plan or research proposal in Chinese or English.
    4. MBBS: Age must be between 18-25, healthy. Must complete 12 years of education or senior higher school with good marks.

    Requirements of the Chinese Government and Universities:

    1. Must hold a valid passport with a student or visitor visa.
    2. Accurately and truthfully completed application form.
    3. Recent passport size photo with full face against a light background.
    4. No criminal record. Can be requested to provide a non-criminal certificate notarized and certificate by the Chinese Embassy.
    5. Pass China’s college entrance examination.
    6. For study in Chinese medium degree, require the application to provide HSK examination results to prove the language proficiency.
    7. For English medium degree, should provide English proficiency tests such as TOEFL or IELTS. If you are a native English speaker or you are a non-native speaker but your previous education was English, then don’t require a TOEFL/IELTS certificate. In this case, you will need to provide a statement of the university or school that proves that the medium of instruction was English. 

    Popular Subjects and Courses for International Students in Chinese Universities:

    • Clinical Studies/ Medicine
    • IT and Computer Science
    • International Business
    • Chinese Mandarine Language, Culture and Literature
    • Engineering
    • Banking and financial services
    • Sales and marketing
    • Manufacturing

    Study Expenses:

    Tuition fees in China are lower compared to the US and other European countries. Tuition fees can vary depending on the field of study. It is expected that it will be between 11,500 RMB to 25,000 RMB per academic year for the bachelor’s degree. Engineering, medicine, and business programs cost quite a little bit more. masters or doctoral degrees will cost on average 16,000 to 33,500 RMB per academic year.

    Living Expenses:

    The cost of living in China depends on the city and the area that you choose to live in. In bigger cities like Shanghai, Beijing, and Guangzhou, the cost of living will usually be higher. If you choose to live in a city area then the price range will be around 3,000 to 5.000 RMB, and if you choose to live in a rural area or out of the city then it will cost 1,500 to 2,500 RMB.


    In China, food expenses are quite affordable. By eating locally and taking advantage of buying from the market, the cost of food can be manageable. Drinks like water and soft drinks will cost 3 to 10 RMB in supermarkets and the average meal rate runs between 25 to 80 RMB. 


    For international students considering to study in China, living on the university campus is very common. So, if you live nearby a university campus or on-campus residence, you can save transportation costs.

    You can find taxis in almost every city and its fare is relatively inexpensive for travelers. In many places, you can rent a bicycle or tricycle on the basis of the hourly rate at low prices. You can take a monthly pass of local transport at 125 Rmb too.

    Internship and Part-Time Jobs:

    The Chinese government now allows student visa holders to work part-time. They have also created opportunities for students to put into practice what they have learned at universities or according to their course curriculum. But for this, one has to seek permission to work part-time from its hosting institution and immigration department. With a permission stamp and you will be legally allowed to work 20 hours a week in a semester and during semester holidays you can work full time.

    With the cooperation of the Chinese government and universities, many industries and companies are running internship programs that pay and give you the experience of work.

    Do IELTS or TOEFL Need to Study in China?

    The most common language in China in Mandarin. Most of the courses are offered in Mandarin. But now China offers many courses in English. 

    If you choose to study in English and English is your native language or second language then you Don’t need to provide IELTS or TOEFL.

    If you choose a Mandarin language course in China you must prove that your language skills are sufficient to take the course. You may be asked by the University to pass the HSK exam and the level you will attain depends on your university and course.

    Scholarship for Studying in China:

    Chinese Universities are offering Chinese Government Scholarships like CSC Scholarships, CAS-TWAS Scholarships, Confucius Institute scholarships, Chinese Provincial Government Scholarships, and a lot of scholarships to international students every year. 

    If your grades are above average and you have a clear and novel research or study plan then you have high chances of being selected for the CSC Scholarship in any of the Chinese universities.

    Applying for Students Visa to Study: 

    It is the most important thing that before departure you must have a valid student visa. You must apply for a visa from your home country at the embassy, consulate, or China Visa Application Center (CVASC). To obtain a student visa for China, you must first be admitted to a Chinese education institute.

    According to Chinese visa requirements for a study duration of six months or more, you need a study visa or X1 visa. The X1 visa is valid for 5 years. When an X1 visa holder enters China, he should register with a local exit and entry to apply for a China temporary residence permit. If you are staying for a short term or less than 6 months then the X2 visa is the right option. X2 visa is valid for a maximum of 6 months. However, X2 visa holders can extend the visa’s validity when circumstances demand it.  

    In order to apply for the right visa you have to provide the following documents:

    1. Passport (Original and Photocopy).
    2. Visa application form.
    3. Two recent photos.
    4. Admission notice.
    5. Foreigner physical examination form.
    6. Blood test report.
    7. Bank statement.
    8. Police clearance certificate.
    9. Original certificate with all transcripts of your highest study.

    You may submit the application to the Visa Office of the Embassy or Consulate-General which holds consular jurisdiction over the state where you reside. It may take 5-7 working days to issue a Chinese visa. But sometimes it may take more. So you have to apply before the minimum one month of your departure date but recommend not to apply earlier than 3 months before the date.


    China is one of the most developed countries. It has a well developed, modern city and a great country to study in. Every student always wants to stay and continue their education in a developed country to develop a successful career. Studying and living in China enables you to explore a fascinating culture. If you consider China as your next study destination then it will be your best decision to follow your dream. To proceed with study in China, you need to choose a suitable program and start preparing yourself with the necessary documents. There are lots of agencies and service providers who have years of experience and can help you further with more information about study in China.

    About the Author

    Anita Hesslar loves writing, analyzing, and discovering new things. After graduating from school, she started working as a content writer and marketing consultant in Digi Edu Pro. She is passionate about her fellow humans and wants to be their inspiration for growth, as they find their way through the dark to their true self.

    You cannot copy content of this page